Crazy About Coconut Oil
Coconut oil has become one of the top health and beauty trends of 2015. But, when you read about coconut oil, you quickly realize why its use has become so popular. We've found that the uses of coconut oil are virtually endless. Who would have thought that such an amazing product could be produced from a coconut? Below, we've compiled for you, our top ten favorite uses for coconut oil.
1. Homemade skin care - Coconut oil is a great choice when making your own body creams and scrubs. Use coconut oil as a base for your face and body cream. Or, you can add it to sugar or sea salt to make a natural body scrub. You can even use coconut oil as a base for you own homemade lip balm. Try adding in some peppermint or lavender essential oil to give your at-home products a relaxing property.
2. Coffee creamer - Use coconut oil as a flavor booster in your coffee instead of adding high calorie coffee creamer. Emulsify your coconut oil and add it to your coffee as you would creamer, taking your coffee to a new healthy level.
3. Makeup Remover - Coconut oil is fantastic for removing hard to get off eye makeup. Simply, spread a thin layer over and under your eyes, and then wipe off with a tissue. Wash your face after removing the makeup. Not only does it remove your makeup, but it hydrates your skin. A double bonus.
4. Diaper Cream - We always want what's best for baby, so why not use coconut oil for diaper cream? Instead of those expensive store products, with all of those harsh ingredients, put something natural on your baby's bottom to soothe it. Coconut oil boasts antibacterial, antifungal, antiviral properties, and it moisturizes, so it's a no brainer that it makes the perfect cream for your babe.
5. Food topping - With all of its healthy properties, its no wonder that I'm going to say that you should consume it as well. There are so many different ways that you can use coconut oil in or on your food, but two options that I like are to spread it on your toast in the morning and to drizzle it over popcorn with some sea salt, instead of all that unhealthy butter.
6. Energy Booster - Sure you could just consume an energy drink. But, who wants all that sugar and caffeine causing chaos to your healthy body? Eating a daily dose of between 1 - 3 tablespoons of coconut oil will not only give you energy, but also act as an appetite suppressant to help you lose or maintain your weight.
7. Oil Pulling - This is an excellent way to whiten your teeth, pull out toxins, and overall promote better health. Every morning, put spoonful of coconut oil in your mouth and swish it around and gargle for up to 20 minutes. Do it while you're showering or getting dressed. Add peppermint essential oil to the coconut oil to give your mouth a refreshing feeling. Be sure to not swallow it, spit it out and rinse as soon as you are done gargling.
8. Hair Treatment - Coconut oil can help anybody with dry or brittle hair. Use it as a moisturizing treatment and soak your hair with coconut oil for 30 minutes, then wash your hair as normal. Your might have to do a second wash to make sure you get all the oil out. But, your hair is sure to feel healthier than ever.
9. First Aid - Use coconut oil to treat minor cuts and scrapes. Simply apply the oil as a salve after cleaning the area well.
10. Furniture Polish- Yes, even your furniture can benefit from coconut oil. Simply rub a little onto your wooden or leather furniture and then buff with a soft cloth.
*A note about choosing your coconut oil - When choosing your coconut oil, remember that are two kinds to choose from:
Refined - This is not as effective as unrefined coconut oil, but if you're adverse to the smell or taste, it's not as strong as the unrefined type.
Unrefined - This type of coconut oil has not gone through the refining process, so it still retains its taste and smell, a minor coconut flavor. It also retains all of its nutritional properties.
My advice would be to choose an extra virgin, organic, unrefined coconut oil so that you can get all of the oils nutritional benefits.