The Top 5 Tips for Getting Fit this Fall
Most people do not consider Fall prime time to begin a weight loss journey. Normally, we think Summer, beach season, bikinis and going shirtless, to be the ideal time to start working out. But, Fall is just as good as any time to begin your quest for fitness. And, instead of being in a rush next spring to lose weight, you'll already be at your goal come time to slip on your summer clothes.
Here are a few tips to get you jump-started into fitness and out of hibernation mode.
1. Balanced Diet - A balance of protein, carbohydrates, fruits, and vegetables is key. Most importantly, don't skip meals or starve yourself. So many people skip breakfast and that only sets you on a downhill course for the rest of the day. Breakfast gives you energy to jump start your day and fit that workout in. Choose a breakfast that is well rounded - not just a cup of coffee or a piece of fruit. If you're in a rush, try making breakfast smoothies with vegetables, fruit, and almond milk. It's a quick and easy way to get your food groups in. Also, don't be afraid to cheat. Moderation is key. If you've had a great week, don't be afraid to have that piece of cake when you go out for dinner on Saturday night.
2. A Workout that Fits You - Don't force yourself to do a workout that doesn't suit you. Let your workout be molded to your lifestyle and fitness level. And, don't expect to be able to run five miles when you haven't run in two years. Start off slow and build up to your goal in order to prevent injuries. And, if you're always on the go and you don't have an hour to work out, don't be afraid to split up your workouts. Do 15 minutes in the morning and a half hour in the evening. Do what you have time for, but make it count.
3. Hydration - Water, water, and more water. The last thing that you want to happen while you are working out is to become dehydrated. It's important to have at least 8 glasses a day to help keep your system running. Don't love water? Try cutting up some lemons or limes, or even add some fruit to give your water some punch.
4. Goal Setting - Be realistic. We all want to lose the weight overnight. But it doesn't happen that way, and it isn't safe if you lose too much at once. And the quicker you lose the weight, but more likely you are to gain it back. Aim for 1-2 pounds a week. And don't get down if you don't loose any weight in a given week. It's all about adjusting your workouts, diet, and figuring out what your body will respond to.
5. Sleep - Getting enough Zzzzz's is important to your fitness and your health. If you don't get enough sleep you're likely to feel more hungry and lack the energy to exercise. You'll also have a more difficult time functioning and concentrating in general.
Take these five tips and apply them to your weight loss journey and you'll be guaranteed to have positive results!