Ditched the Fad Diet Already? Try These Natural Detox Tips for Lasting Change
People pick up and drop fad diets so quickly that often the body struggles to adjust. It's important to maintain a healthy diet not just to shed post-festive pounds or to get a beach body for summer, but to give your body the kind of attention and care that it desperately needs. Your body naturally detoxes all the time so there's no need to starve your body of its preferred daily calorie intake in order to feel healthy. Sometimes though, you will want to pay just a little more attention than normal to what you consume, especially if you want to compensate for a period of indulgence. These natural ways of supporting your body's detox process should have your energy levels rising in no time.
- Water. Water. Water. It can't be said often enough. Don't aim to drink enough water per day, aim to drink more than enough. Being properly hydrated simply makes everything else an awful lot easier for your body. Drink up!
- Pile on the Superfoods They contain brilliant nutrients and antioxidants which help the immune system. Foods that are high in Omega 3, such as avocado, flax seed, walnuts, tuna and salmon are great; as are dark vegetables like blueberries, raspberries, spinach, kale and eggplant. Omega 3 fish oils might be good for the brain too – in one study 40% of children showed clear improvement in school after taking omega 3 supplements.
- Sweat it Out Your skin is the largest organ in your body and when you sweat you are releasing excess salt and metabolites from your body. Getting yourself in a sweat once a day is a great way to boost your body's ability to flush out toxins.
- Limit Caffeine A little caffeine can be a great energiser but too much and your body starts to rely on it; it longer stimulates you but starts to make your body sluggish instead. Skip the coffee and switch to lower caffeine teas or green tea.
- Juice It Investing in a juicer and learning about all the super juices you can make yourself is really liberating. There are so many juices, featuring fruits and vegetables that act like a shot of health to your body. You can even make a big jug full and freeze portions for later.
- Eat More Fibre Natural fibres such as those found in fruits and vegetables, beans and legumes all aid your digestive tract in doing its job a little better. If you struggle to get enough fibre in your diet, you can also top-up the natural fibres you eat with fibre supplements.